Tuesday, October 27, 2009

C4--Day 1:Thursday--Welcome to C4


Today started ridiculously early—my alarm went off at 0245 so I could shower and throw some last minute stuff in my bags before SuperShuttle arrived at 0330 so I could get to Reagan National Airport for my 0600 flight. Packing was actually pretty easy—it doesn't require much thought when you're not allowed to wear anything that isn't a uniform, so I just threw everything I had that said 'Army' into a bag. Anyway, it's a good thing they got me to the airport that early, because when I arrived at the airport and tried to print my boarding pass, I discovered that the Army didn't actually pay for my ticket. So, after almost an hour on the phone with the emergency line at Carlton-Wagonlit Travel, everything was taken care of and I got on my plane. And then promptly fell asleep for a good portion of my DC to Dallas leg of the trip. After a brief visit to the Dallas USO, it was onto another plane to San Antonio, and then another brief visit to the San Antonio USO before the shuttle came to take me to Camp Bullis, and C4 officially began.

They started with the standard briefs—this is C4, this is what will be going on in this week, etc—and then they issued us our gear. And what fun that was. Rucksacks, kevlar helmets, flak vests (and those things are heavy, in case you were ever wondering), canteens, ammo belts, fake M-16s (not just unloaded, but fake), sleeping bags, duffles, etc, etc. Lots of stuff. And then they stood us out in the sun and made us try everything on and told us at least twenty times to hydrate—but didn't let us go to the water buffalo (water tank on a trailer) to fill our canteens, which would have been nice, considering it was 90 degrees with 95% humidity—quite the change from the 50's-60's in DC.

The gear
We had our first formation a bit later, after most of the class had arrived, and then they marched us to the DFAC to pay for our MREs and feed us dinner. We were each issued a case of MREs, which is a bit intimidating, considering each MRE is probably about 3000 calories and could feed a small Ethiopian village. Needless to say, I'll be taking MREs back home. Christmas presents, perhaps?

What passes for food in these parts
Somehow in all of this, I ended up being made squad leader—yeah, bad idea on their parts. When nobody volunteered, the sergeant glanced at the list and called out a random name, which just happened to be Captain Hesse. Fun, fun. The other Walter Reed people all thought that was pretty funny (there are five of us here, but none of the others are in my squad).

Well, I am now finally clean(ish), which feels very, very good after sweating through my ACUs for half the day (I wore civvies while I traveled and changed at the San Antonio USO). Tomorrow we start with reveille at 0500, and then it's a day of Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) at Ft. Sam Houston (yay for air conditioning!). That goes on for a couple of days before we get to the field portion of the course (which is when we have to start wearing the flak vests and kevlar and ammo belts and all that fun stuff). Should be interesting...

No comments: