Friday, August 21, 2009

Team lunches and winning the game

Yes, I know, it's been pretty much forever since I last wrote a post--sorry about that.

Life on Ward 75 has been, well, pretty much like purgatory. You just have to bid your time here until it's time to move onto something else. We've had a few interesting cases, but for the most part, all I do is pretend to be a social worker and get people discharged and back to their retirement homes/nursing homes/back to their units.

Since the rotation is almost over (just one more night of call!), we had a team lunch yesterday--the attending, resident, two interns, sub-intern, and two third year medical students--at a Thai place in Silver Spring. The food was quite good, as was the conversation; with the exception of my fellow intern occassionally treating me like I'm quite useless (despite the fact that I have twice discharged all of my patients, a feat he has yet to accomplish), we had a really good team. The two med students we currently have are quite sharp and work hard, but have good senses of humor (of course, they thought I was joking when I told them that I gave low passes on their evaluations...)

Anyway, today I started the day with two patients, one with a fairly simple pacemaker placement, and one who had been admitted with high fevers and chills after returning from three weeks in Africa (we thought it was malaria, but those tests came back negative; he got better on his own, and we still don't know what he had). Both got discharged today, so I had no patients--that's what we call "winning the game" (the game being treating patients; winning being discharging all of them before the next night on call). So I won the game, for the second call period in a row :) My sub-intern calls me a discharging machine. That's certainly true. And because I won the game on Friday, and we aren't on call again until Sunday, I get Saturday off :) This makes me happy.

No comments: