Wednesday, July 22, 2009

4 star coins and the light at the end of the tunnel

For those of you who read my Facebook status update, you know that I now have coin from a four star general. Here it is:

And now story time. There is a lieutenant colonel in the room across from the MICU workstation. He was hit by an IED in Afghanistan (I believe... he's a SICU patient, so I don't know much about him). It's pretty rare that someone that highly ranked gets himself blown up (he was a Ranger or Special Forces or something), so he's gotten quite a lot of attention. I have now seen the Secretary of the Army and more stars than I can count. Anyway, on Monday morning, I was writing down lab values on my patients, and when I looked up from my computer, I saw stars. A line of four of them, right down the front of this man's uniform. He thanked us for all that we're doing to care for all of our patients, and then gave us coins.

As far as the light at the end of the tunnel, I had lunch yesterday with my future residency director, just to check in and see how my first month of internship is going and give me more information about the residency. Let's just say that I was really excited about what is to come. It really was a nice reminder that all of this being on call every third night and rounding for six hours thing doesn't go on forever.

I can't wait for next year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now you will never have to buy drinks.
(p.s. I am commenting using Kits account)
Mom